Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Crocheting Madness

Solid Grannies: The Ultimate Utilitarian Square

I've included some instructions below from a site by Pumamouse. She and I vary in several ways, but the look is identical. Here are my variations first.

First, I crochet only four chains to make my initial loop...I also crochet over the slip knot's tail and the tug on it before I secure it...that makes for a closed center.

I don't slip stitch to a corner and always start in a corner. I usually just chain 3 for the dc above where I slip stitched the round before closed and I'm careful to make each corner, not with 3dc ch2 3dc, but instead use 2dc ch2 2dc.

These solid grannies are wonderful for modular clothes, blankets, bags and more. If you like, you can make on huge one and have an afghan from hell that's just this huge, solid piece of material. I've been using my variation on this old pattern for about 20 years now and occassionally I get a yearning for a traditional granny and do one with shells and all those lovely little holes.

Current project:
A baby blanket for Stephanie. It's being made from this cool Red Heart discontinued yarn that I scrounged at AC Moore's mill ends bin. I got six 6oz. skeins for about $7. I have managed, this season, to score specialty yarns in the $11 range for as little as $2 a skein and it's been great. Can't wait to make more stuff for the business and for my Tuscan makeover for my house.

The baby blanket is a bit unconventional in color. Pale teal, purple, rich blue and a forest green make up the colorway. It's a discontinued yarn from a coupla seasons ago, but it's supersoft like their tweedy/heathered skeins. I'm either going to border it in purple or light teal... haven't decided yet. The forest green might work, too, but it'd have to be a Caron yarn since C&C never made anything that matches this. Total Cost: $3 or less not including 'sweat equity'.

Right now, the blankie is about 2 feet across. At 3 feet, I'll call it a day and I might get there using less than 12 oz of the varigated yarn. I love making baby blankets. Must be senility setting in.



The Ring: Make a loop on hook, Ch 6, Sl St to first Ch to form a ring.

Round One: Ch 3 to count as first DC, 2 DC into ring, Ch 2, 3 DC into ring, Ch 2, 3 DC into ring, Ch 2, 3 DC into ring, Ch 2, Sl St to top (third chain) of beginning Ch 3.

Round Two: Ch 3 to count as first DC, 2 DC, 2 DC into corner, Ch 2, 2 DC into corner. (3 DC, 2 DC into corner, Ch 2, 2 DC into corner) three times. Sl St to the top (third chain) of beginning Ch 3.

Round Three: Ch 3 to count as first DC, 4 DC, 2 DC into corner, Ch 2, 2 DC into corner. (7 DC, 2 DC into corner, Ch 2, 2 DC into corner), three times. 2 DC, Sl St to the top (third chain) of beginning Ch 3.

Round Four: Ch 3 to count as first DC, 6 DC, 2 DC into corner, Ch 2, 2 DC into corner. (11 DC, 2 DC into corner, Ch 2, 2 DC into corner), three times. 4 DC, Sl St to the top (third chain) of beginning Ch 3. Finish off.

Just keep going. It grows.

from PUMAMOUSE...
http://pumamouse.com/crochetbasicgrannys.html

No comments:

Rain?